If you are bored with the usual westernised baked chicken, try this Chinese roasted chicken for a change! The flavour is so inviting while roasting and I could not wait to savour it! Even my kids could not get enough of it.
I’ve marinated the chicken for 2 days! Prior to baking, leave the chicken in room temperature and air dry for at least 3-4 hours.
After baking for 30 mins @ 200 deg cel and 35 mins @ 130 deg cel. Love the perfect golden brown skin!
- 1 medium chicken, approx. 1 kg
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced
- 2 stalk green onion, cut into sections
- 1 tbsp Chinese wine
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- Clean the chicken and pat dry thoroughly. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Stuff half of the garlic, ginger and spring onion into the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a ziplog bag. Pour in the marinade and some into the chicken cavity. Seal the bag firmly. Rub the bag gently to ensure the chicken is evenly coated with the sauce. Keep in fridge overnight. Turn the bag a few times in between marination time.
- On day of roasting, take out the chicken. Discard the liquid and spices. Truss the legs place on a wire rack, breast side up, and air dry until the skin becomes tightened and dry. (I on the the fan and air dry for 3 hours).
- Place the chicken on the low rack and bake in preheated oven at 200 deg cel for 30 mins. Lower temperature to 130 deg cel and bake for another 30 mins.
- Cool down for 15 mins before before serving.
recipe ref : www.chinasichuanfood.com
Dark Savoury Sauce for Noodle
- 1/2 pc non msg chicken stock cube
- 350ml water
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
Bring water to boil. Dissolve the stock cube. Stir in remaining seasoning and bring to a simmer for 1 min. Set aside till use.