Time flies and my elder boy has turned 11th yesterday!! As usual I’ve baked a simple birthday cake for him everytime of this year! Lousy with decorating so I make use of edible cake image for the cake with minimal piping/decoration. ^0^
I thought I’ve used a lot of whipped cream for the layering, but it did not turn out otherwise. Anyway is a nice cake to enjoy…moist and tender crumbs packed with juicy blueberries and lemony flavour.
Ingredient (one 8″ x 8″ layer cake)
- 250gm salted butter
- 200gm fine sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 300gm cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 250ml homemade buttermilk
- 125ml fresh lemon juice
- 300gm frozen blueberries (coat with 2 tbsp plain flour to prevent sinking)
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Using electric whisk, cream butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add in lemon zest and beat to combine.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat till mixture is white and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Using low speed beat in flour, alternate with buttermilk and lemon juice, until just combined. Do not beat on high speed. Use a spatula and fold in blueberries.
- Spread the cake batter into two 8″ square shallow pan.* Bake in preheated oven at 160deg cel for 30-35mins, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Rest the cake in pan for 10mins. Remove cake and transfer to a wire rack to cool down completely before frosting.
* I halved the recipe and bake the cake one by one as my oven is small.