Everyone wants to retain their glowing skin forever, but skin loses its glowing youthfulness naturally with increasing age. According to dermatologists, stretch marks are narrow streaks or lines on the skin with an off colour hue. Rapid growth, rapid weight gain or weight loss are the main reasons of stretch marks on the skin and other causes of stretch marks include puberty, pregnancy, bodybuilding and hormone replacement therapy. Stretch marks first appear as reddish lines and the lines are usually long and thin. The affected areas are soft to the touch and the lines can appear in any pars of the body but they generally appear in places where larger amounts of fat are stored like abdomen, breasts, upper arms, underarms, back, thighs, hips and buttocks.
Causes of Stretch Marks
The causes of stretch marks are several. Here we have listed out a few common causes.
- Stretch marks are common during pregnancy.
- Rapid weight gain during a short period of time.
- During puberty stretch marks appear on the boy’s shoulders and back and in case of girls they appear on their hips, thighs and breasts.
- Heredity conditions.
- Medical conditions such as Cushing’s syndrome and Marfan syndrome.
Top 10 Natural Remedies to Reduce Stretch Marks
Sugar is used as a natural exfoliant for skin. It is one of the best home remedies to get rid of stretch marks. Take a tablespoon of sugar. Add some drops of almond oil and lemon juice in it. Stir it well and apply directly on the stretch marks. Rub it for 8-10 minutes and then, take a shower. Continue to use it for one month or so, until the stretch marks gets fade out.
2. Potato Juice
Potato juice is rich in minerals and vitamins. It promotes restoration and growth of skin cells. Cut thick slices of a medium-sized potato. Take one of the potato slices and rub gently on the stretch marks for a few minutes. When the juice gets dried, wash the affected area with lukewarm water.
Water is known for carrying oxygen and nutrients to all parts of the body. To prevent skin from various problems, drinking water helps a lot. To get rid of stretch marks, a well-hydrated skin is required in order to allow regular detoxification of skin pores. It is the quickest remedy to heal stretch marks. Drink 10 glasses of water daily to make skin soft and maintain a hydrated body.
4. Olive Oil
Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and nutrients, which are effective for skin disorders. For healing stretch marks, warm the olive oil slightly. Rub it gently on the affected area. With this, the blood circulation will improve and stretch marks will get reduced.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is other easy treatment for stretch marks. The acid present in lemon juice helps in reducing stretch marks, acne, skin injuries, and scars. Take out juice from some lemons. Massage it gently for 10 minutes in a circular motion on the stretch marks. Clean the affected area with warm water.
You can also mix some lemon juice with cucumber juice. Apply this mix directly on the affected area.
6. Castor Oil
Castor oil is considered to be a healing treatment for skin problems, like moles, dark spots, wrinkles, pimples, and fine lines. How is it used to heal stretch marks? Well, you can apply castor oil directly on the stretch marks. Massage it in a circular motion for 15 minutes. After massaging, wrap the affected area with thin and clean cotton cloth. Now, apply some heat with the help of heating pad or hot water bottle. Continue the process for 30 minutes daily for one month to get best results.
7. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is famous for its anti-wrinkling and anti-aging properties. It helps in enhancing the blood circulation, which reduces stretch marks. Massage the affected area with cocoa butter at least two times a day. Repeat the process for two months and notice the reduced scars.
Else, mix half cup of cocoa butter with one tablespoon of wheat germ oil, one teaspoon of tea kernel oil, two teaspoons of grated beeswax, and vitamin E oil. Heat the mix until the beeswax melts. Apply it on the stretch marks twice or thrice a day. The mixture can be stored in a sealed box in the refrigerator.
8. Egg Whites
To get rid of stretch marks, egg whites are beneficial as they are rich in proteins and amino acid. Extract whites of two eggs. Whip it with the help of a fork. After washing the affected area with clean water, apply a thick layer of egg whites with the help of a brush. Let it dry completely and wash it off with cold water. After this, apply some olive oil to moisturize the skin. For two weeks, continue the process daily for better results.
9. Glycerine and Lemon
Lemon is rich in citrus acid. Put 1-2 drops of glycerine in lemon. Rub the lemon on the affected area gently. Repeat the process two times a day. It will not only reduce the stretch marks, but will also keep your skin moisturized.
10. Physical Exercise
One must regularly do physical exercises, like abdominal crunches, sit-ups, swimming, etc., which tone the underlying muscles and remove the ugly stretch marks. Here are some exercises, which are beneficial to remove stretch marks:
- For Stretch Marks on Stomach: You are required to lie down flat on your back. Now, bend your knees keeping feet flat on the floor. Keep your hands on the sides of your head. Now, lift your upper body somewhat off the floor, contracting your abs.
- For Stretch Marks on Thighs: Sit straight on the chair. Now, put your hands down to your sides, holding the chair. Now, swing your legs in an up and down motion. This will help to firm your thighs.
- For Stretch Marks on Hips and Buttocks : Lie down flat on your back. Relax for a few minutes. Then, lift one leg creating a 90 degree angle. Lift it until you feel a pull on your buttocks. Try the same on the other leg. Slowly, increase your pace and strain on the hips, buttocks, and thighs.
- For Stretch Marks on Bottom : You are required to lie down facing the floor. Put your arms on the side. Lift your right leg up and then down. Repeat the same with left leg. Raise your leg at least 3-6 inches off the floor.
For best results, practice 20 lifts for each exercise thrice a week.
Other Treatments for Stretch Marks
Apart from natural home remedies, various other simple options are also available to remove stretch marks. They are as follows:
- Use oats as a natural scrub on the stretch marks.
- Use Vaseline on the stretch marks.
- For itchy stretch marks, take a warm shower followed by a gentle oil massage.
- Use a moisturizer on the affected area.
Say goodbye to stretch marks with these home remedies using all natural ingredients and don’t forget to share your beauty tips with me.