What Is Dandruff?
Dandruff is a common scalp condition marked by white or yellowish flakes of dead skin cells. Dandruff doesn’t discriminate and can affect people of all ages, though it’s more frequent in men and people with oily skin.
Most of us don’t think about the skin all over our body constantly renewing itself by shedding skin cells – including the skin on our heads. Dandruff occurs when scalp shedding of the skin cells goes into overdrive. Dandruff has several different causes, and though it can be persistent, it’s usually an easy condition to treat. Continue reading how to get ride dandruff at home.
What Actually Causes Dandruff?
The main cause of dandruff is an over growth of a yeast-like fungus called malassezia. This fungus is present on normal, healthy scalps (it feeds on the oil secreted by the hair follicles) but with someone who has dandruff, malassezia grows completely out of control. This fungus causes severe irritation of the scalp, which then triggers a rapid and out-of-control shedding of dead skin cells. The dead skin then combines with the oil on the scalp and clumps together, resulting in what we call “dandruff flakes”.
In addition, someone who suffers from dandruff will also suffer from excessive oily hair in most instances. These two problems usually (but not always) go hand in hand. Thankfully, getting rid of both these nuisances is easy using home remedies and natural treatments.
Home Remedies For Dandruff
#. Neem leaves paste
•Crush some neem leaves to make a fine paste and apply it directly on to your dry scalp.
•Keep this paste for an hour and then clear it off using warm or cold water.
- Mix vinegar in oil of rosemary leaves(squeeze them), and apply it on your scalp for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse it off thoroughly.
- You can also apply mixture of rosemary oil and coconut oil to your scalp to treat dandruff.
#. Baking soda
- While shampooing, add a handful of baking soda to your hair and massage your scalp.
- Rinse it off after 15-20 minutes.
- Apply some onion paste on your scalp. Leave it on for one hour.
- Wash it off thoroughly and apply some fresh lemon juice to get rid of the smell of the onion out of your hair.
- You can use reetha soap or make a fine paste using reetha powder and apply it on your scalp.
- Rinse it after two hours with cold water and shampoo.
- Take 2 tbsp of garlic powder and mix it firmly with 1 tbsp of lemon juice to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on your scalp and leave it for 30-40 minutes.
- Wash it off thoroughly with shampoo and cold water.
#. Coconut oil
- Mix 1 tbsp of lemon juice with 5 tbsp of coconut oil and then apply the mixture on the scalp.
- Leave this mixture for about 20-30 minutes and then wash it off with a good shampoo.
#. Aloe vera
- 20 minutes before you take a shower rub aloe vera gel on your scalp.
- Leave on for full 20 minutes, and then wash your hair with a shampoo.
#. Warm oil massage
- Use lukewarm almond oil, coconut oil or olive oil to massage your scalp to prevent dandruff.
- Leave it on the scalp overnight.
- Beat 2 eggs and apply the paste on your scalp and rinse it off after one hour.
- This treatment will assist in preventing dandruff and hair fall.
#. Dahi (yoghurt)
- Apply some dahi on your hair and scalp and keep it for at least one hour.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo thoroughly. Do this at least twice a week.
#. Lemon juice
- Massage lemon juice on your scalp before going for a shower.
- Wash your hair thoroughly after 15-20 minutes.
- This treatment will help to remove stickiness, prevents dandruff and makes your hair look radiant.
#. Fenugreek Seeds
- Soak 2 tbsp. of fenugreek seeds (meethi) in water overnight and crush them into a fine paste next morning.
- Apply this paste to your hair and scalp for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair thoroughly after 30 minutes. Follow this treatment for continuous four weeks, for best results.
Try this remedies at home, all the ingredients easily available in your kitchen. If your dandruff still persists, make sure you see a specialist who will help find the root cause of the problem.
To get more information related to health problems, go to our main Health page.If you have any question or comment, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible. Also, you can share your experiences with us. Like us on Facebook also for daily updates. And don’t forget to like and share.