1. Melt an ice cube over your face. After cleansing, run an ice cube over your face to close and tighten your pores. (You can start the melting process by running the ice cube along your hands). The cooling sensation will also help reduce any inflammation you might have, says aesthetician and cosmetic chemist Mary Schook, who also provides the tips below.
2. Eat a ripe banana, then rub the inside of the peel on any fine lines you might have. Bananas keep you satiated between meals and help maintain your blood levels. Bonus: the inside of the peel contains enzymes that exfoliate, hydrate, and plump the skin. Rub the peel on your fine lines until it oxidizes and turns brown, which takes about a minute, then rinse your face.
3. Use a sheet mask to immediately boost moisture and give your skin a dose of vitamins. Even if you wear your favorite Jason-like beauty mask for just one minute, it will help your skin look dewier. Try The Face Shop Hydro Vita Gel Mask, $4 each, or SK-II Treatment Mask, $17 each. And since you only have 60 seconds to wear it this time around, rehydrate the sheet mask with an Evian water spray and put it in a plastic resealable bag to get a second use out of it — just be sure to use the other side of the mask next time.
4. Carry rosewater spray in your purse and spritz it throughout the day. Collagen breaks down when the moisture in your skin is depleted. When you feel your skin getting tight and dry, lightly spritz your face with rosewater (an anti-inflammatory ingredient that boosts cellular function and reduces inflammation). Let it soak in (Don’t touch your face or you could transfer bacteria from your hands onto it!). Now you’ve got hydrated and youthful-looking skin. Try Glossier Soothing Face Mist, $18.
5. Massage the nape of your neck. Blood flow gets blocked with tightened neck muscles, which tense up from stress and put pressure on your blood vessels. By massaging the nape of your neck for a minute, you loosen the muscles. Proper blood flow helps you think better and instantly de-stresses you, preventing the release of the hormone cortisol that can inhibit collagen production. This, in turn, leaves you looking fresh-faced and fineline-free.
6. Take a probiotic. Popping a probiotic pill builds your immune system and keeps the good and bad bacteria in your gut balanced, which keeps your skin clear and your energy up. Just remember to discuss the use of probiotics with your personal care physician before implementing them into your routine.
7. Use dry shampoo at night to make your morning routine smoother. By now you know that spraying your favorite dry shampoo through your hair will make it look like you got a bombshell blowout in seconds. But, if you don’t have an invisible formula nearby, like Aussie Total Miracle 7-in-1 Dry Shampoo, $6, you might have to resort to using good old baby powder that tends to leave white residue behind. If that’s the case, dust it on before you got to bed at night, so you have eight hours for it to absorb. You will feel so amazing when you wake up with amazing hair the next day.